Chain Riveting Tool

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Chain Riveting Tool

Post by Blade »

Anybody recommend a good one.

The official DID KM500R Tool is £99 at the cheapest place I can find it. There are plenty of copies around for circa £35 but all seem to get bad reviews saying they break on first use and not strong enough.

£99 seems expensive for a rarely used tool but I suppose a quality tool is always a good investment (y)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Chain Riveting Tool

Post by Kwacky »

I think it's one of those "tools for life" so probably worth the initial outlay.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:I think it's one of those "tools for life" so probably worth the initial outlay.
I must admit that is what I m thinking too.

I wonder if possible to get a better decent discount at the NEC show ??? The £99 I have already found is quite cheap and already discounted approx £40 from a lot of other places so I'm not sure further discounting would be possible.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Seen this one, Blade?

Its made by Afam so should be decent. The other cheaper tool on there they say is only good for a few times. This one they reckon is strong.

http://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/chain ... chain-tool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers Duke. Yes I had seen that tool but had been told it was a few times only use budget tool.

The DID KM500 gets great reviews and I guess is copied by so many others because it is so good with a strong reputation.

I have always been of the school of thought of buy "cheap twice, buy twice" so thinking of get the DID tool as a good tool is a good investment IMO.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I bought a cheap one and broke it the first time I used it. I'd say get the expense one so I can borrow yours next time.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade

Post by Blade »

Monty wrote:I bought a cheap one and broke it the first time I used it. I'd say get the expense one so I can borrow yours next time.
That's what everyone says about the cheap ones so going to stay well clear (n)

I have a better idea mate. You get the expensive one and I'll prove it is suitable for service and up to the Monty standard before hand delivering the item to your door step free of any testing or delivery charge ;)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Where are you based Blade, you can borrow mine if that helps.
As so often pointed out, it's not something you use very often.
Mine is exactly this one (but not as new & clean). :
http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... results=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

I m over in Manchester mate. Very generous offer and thank you for such.

Have you used it on a 530 chain and is it compatible with DID x ring chains using hollow link pins ?
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

The cheap ones are fine for the hollow link pins they just can't handle the solid links. I found out the hard way!
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

525 is the largest size I've used it on, but I can't see why it shouldn't work just as well on 530.?

I always grind the ends off the link when I'm splitting links I'm removing. I think that's how people damage their chain tools.

Manchester is a bit of a trek, annoyingly I was across there week before last to drop my parents to Manchester Airport.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I've got a half decent riveter , but having broken a cheap one can only agree with the "buy a decent one" sentiment.

For what its worth, I don't bother splitting the links. I just cut the chain off with the dremel, much more fun.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade

Post by Blade »

No worries StMarks it was a very kind offer and very much appreciated but I'm probably best getting my own its a tool that will always come in handy. Thanks again mate it was a kind offer and your a gentleman to do such.
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

If you're doing a hollow link pin you can use mine and have a go of it, see what you think. It's only a cheap one but the only thing it couldn't do was close over a solid link. As StM says, grind off the top of the link you're pushing out first and it's fine.
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

I tried 3 different cheap ones over the years and most didn't last more than one use then I bought the DID one and I still have it (somewhere) after my last few chains. just need to see if it does moped chains for the next couple of years
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Just curious, everyone who broke their riveters, which bit broke?
08-0058.jpg
My cheapo looks a lot like that one and it feels like you'd have to seriously abuse it to break it!
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Mine looked more like this

Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade

Post by Blade »

D6Nutz wrote:I've got a half decent riveter , but having broken a cheap one can only agree with the "buy a decent one" sentiment.

For what its worth, I don't bother splitting the links. I just cut the chain off with the dremel, much more fun.
Which one did you fond decent Nutz ?
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

As StM and DaytonAndy said they generally only break when you try and press a pin out without grinding off the link pin head first, I've done a 520, a 525 and a 530 with mine with no problem, but as I said I do remove the head of the pin prior to pressing apart. The chain tool I use looks very similar to StM's, iirc mine cost me £40 about 5yrs back, the threads take some wear, but good grease helps reduce wear and friction - makes it easier for me to use as well.

Fwiw the part my brother broke on his (I haven't broken mine yet) was the hardened pin that pushes the old link pin through the chain link when removing the chain, most breakers should come with at least one replacement hardened pin. On a different note I've heard of people using bolt croppers to cut a chain off, quick, clean and a lot less faffing about. Hth.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I have heard off people hack sawing the chain off which is probably what I will do or use the tried and tested dremel technique.