Chain question.

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Chain question.

Post by Frankie »

OK I think I already have the answer to my question. But I am putting out there to you knowledgeable people.

New rubber fitted to the rear, but getting the wheel back in and getting the tension right on the chain, it goes from really slack to tight continuously when I rotate the wheel. (on stand & off stands)

Answers not on a postcard but here please :)

My personal thoughts on it even though I cant see any sticking or stiff links, is just that some of the links are stiff and not locking in the the teeth on the front sprocket correctly, so increasing the tightness of the chain?
But I could do with some of your thoughts and hopefully solutions. (y)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: Chain question.

Post by StMarks »

Before those knowledgeable ones come along, I'll have a crack Fkkr1s.:

When you removed the rear wheel to have the tyre fitted, you will have removed the rear sprocket from the cush rubber.? Chances are that it's not gone in the same slots.
The cush rubbers can wear unevenly, so the sprocket is not seated centrally. Try removing the rear wheel, take the sprocket hub off the wheel & rotate it to a different position & see if that corrects it.

Or the Sprocket itself could be machined off center, Hadies on 675.cc got a brand new sprocket that had exactly that fault a while back.

Is this on the almost finished Kr1s project,.? (nod)
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Oh that's a thought, I will whip the wheel off tonight and give that a go, not thought of that.
ha ha ha ha no its not the Kwack, its the s1. (almost finished! ha ha I wish)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

It even sounds like you don't have a Cush drive in the sprocket carrier at all? Has it fallen out during fitting? Depends on severity but StMarks makes a very good point to check IMO.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

really daft question you adjusted it both sides ????
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Sould have said, yes all is lined up correctly, I think if it's not the Cush drive sitting properly, it's likely to require a new chain and sprockets....
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Well I have taken the back wheel out, degreased the chain, re greased/lubed the chain, cleaned all the crap from the front sprocket area, checked the seating of the Cush drive, checked for a true line on the chain from front to back.
All the above sorted and doing what it should be, but it's still going from tight to slack as I rotate the wheel!

How long should a chain and sprockets last?

I must admit I cannot see any signs of visibly worn sprocket or chain, but it's the only thing I can think of that is causing this issue.

I have also fitted the original rear sprocket back onto the bike, could this be the problem, the chain was bedded into the previous sprocket and is now out of sync ?

I am totally baffled now.... Bike is on just under 18k so I have ordered a drive set anyway as I am sure it's time for a change. Let's see if that will do the biz
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Frankie wrote:..... Bike is on just under 18k so I have ordered a drive set anyway as I am sure it's time for a change. Let's see if that will do the biz
Well, if you've got almost 18k out of one drive set I'm utterly amazed.

I would fully expect that to be the likely problem mate.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Ha ha, we will see when the new stuff arrives, I hate changing chains and sprockets.....:( I broke my last chain riveter :(
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Frankie wrote:Ha ha, we will see when the new stuff arrives, I hate changing chains and sprockets.....:( I broke my last chain riveter :(
I did that with mine, now I just use bolt croppers and two hammers.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

First off Frankie, you need to check whether it's the rear sprocket assembly/the chain/front sprocket/output shaft causing the issue. Those being to my mind the only things that can cause it. Put the bike on a paddock stand, then turn the rear wheel and hold a cable tie etc against the swingarm close to the sprocket teeth, turn the wheel and check for eccentricity, same thing with the front sprocket and the centre of the output shaft. If everything is running true at least you know your guilty culprit is the chain and be sure about any repairs. Hth, DG
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Cheers Dave, I checked that tonight, the sprockets alignment is sound. I ordered a new chain and sprockets tonight.
I guessed after all the checking tonight it can only be the chain, I supposed as StMarks says I have got my money's worth ha ha
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

As Sherlock Holmes famously said: " When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Yeah, but Holmes loved opium.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Frankie wrote: I broke my last chain riveter :(
I've got one you can borrow if you need it mate.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

Frankie wrote:Ha ha, we will see when the new stuff arrives, I hate changing chains and sprockets.....:( I broke my last chain riveter :(
How?

Btw, if you fancy a run to the seaside I've got all the kit here, oh and decent coffee. ;)

Just a shame I'm 150+ miles away....
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Thanks for the offer Jon and Dave, I will let you know on your kind offers.
As for how I broke it, not a Scooby? The pin snapped which is supposed to screw down and remove the pin on the link...this was on an old zx6r I had. When I managed to complete the task I rode to The nearest garage and asked if they could make sure I had securely fitted the new one. Back door beer tokens were handed over in exchange for his 10 mins assistance. :)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I did the same to the first chain breaker I bought. That's what I get for buying cheap stuff off eBay. Even with a decent kit it still needed a bit of manual finishing.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

That's why I always use a grinder to take the head off the pin before I push it out, my brother broke both the pins supplied with his chain breaker doing chains on his Duc "following the instructions". To be truthful it's probably quicker as well.

Have to say though, Monty's use of bolt droppers appeals to my inner beast. (devil)