Miss Firing Rsv

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Miss Firing Rsv

Post by rocket »

Well having read some info today it suggested that it may be a good idea to use some electrical contact cleaner on the electrical joints. To see if it cures the miss fire my bike has. I'm thinking it has to be electrical the way it is cutting out as the more I think about it , if its fuel it would stutter like its being starved not just suddenly cut out . Anyone know were I would be able to get some ??
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Re: Miss Firing Rsv

Post by Rob »

Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/wd-40-special ... 00ml-n94lj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Maplins.

Have you swapped the cans over yet, Rocket?

IIRC the bike is remapped for race cans simply by snipping a wire somewhere. It may be the bike is mapped for race cans but you are using standard cans as the previous owner sold his race ones before selling the bike.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The AF1 forum has a wealth of Aprilia information.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/foru ... 04-2009%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rocket

Post by rocket »

cheers off to mapins tomorrow then

not put race cans on yet as there's an issue with the link pipe so getting that sorted. But it does look like he's had the cans off as there's a missing spring. Don't think its a wire on the later rsv so only way to check if its on map2 is reading the ecu.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

rocket wrote:Well having read some info today it suggested that it may be a good idea to use some electrical contact cleaner on the electrical joints. To see if it cures the miss fire my bike has. I'm thinking it has to be electrical the way it is cutting out as the more I think about it , if its fuel it would stutter like its being starved not just suddenly cut out . Anyone know were I would be able to get some ??
depending on how old it is it maybe worth get the injectors ultra sonically cleaned
duke63

Post by duke63 »

TBh before chucking loads of cash at it, i would get Griff to have a look at it at Aprilia Performance. The guy would diagnose the problem very quickly.
rocket

Post by rocket »

duke63 wrote:TBh before chucking loads of cash at it, i would get Griff to have a look at it at Aprilia Performance. The guy would diagnose the problem very quickly.
I think thats my plan do a few bits my self which are just time consuming if i don't get anywhere go to griff it needs to go to him when the cans are swapped over anyway for a tune up

Going to clean the tank out today if i get chance and i got some cleaning spray for the electrical connections.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Definitely a loose connection IMO as if it was fuel the problem would be constant not intermittent i.e the blockage wouldn't clear / block / clear / block randomly in the fuel filter.

Check the battery connections first as previously mentioned I have had this very same problem occur twice on two separate bikes and on both occasions bad battery connection was the cause. If not that get a workshop manual or better still a wiring diagram and check the connection for every single joint on the ignition system.

Good luck hope you get to the bottom of it soon and I don't mean any offence but check the obvious first. The amount of times me and colleagues have missed the obvious with work problems is embarrassing.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Humm... Just been thinking and something occurred to me... This sounds very similar to the behaviour I was getting from my bike when the Stator / wiring was on it's way out.

There are a couple of things you may want to check. Firstly have a look at the voltages when the bike is running and check to make sure you are getting a good output from the stator. From memory it should be about 13.5 volts at the battery terminals.

I'm guessing from one of the pics I saw that yours is a factory, if so this shouldn't apply but it might be worth checking. There is a well known issue with connectors coming from the stator to the reg/rectifier on earlier bikes. On the R's there is a brown 3 pin connector behind the coolant reservoir that nestles between the V of the engine. The pins of this connector corrode and increase the resistance on the charging circuit. This is what happened on my bike, net result was one burned stator and the wiring catching fire..
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
rocket

Post by rocket »

Cheers guys

d6nutz ill check the brown connector tomorrow i spied it to night and have read they are a problem area.

blade I checked the terminals on the battery the day after the ride and they are tight ive had a poke around tonight with the electrical cleaner and making sure that all joints look OK plugs are nice and tight will continue tomorrow

I managed to get an hour today and took the fuel pump off the bike it looks like it has been stood at some stage in its life and the petrol has gummed up. I don't think enough to cause any problems. However I gave it a good clean and put it back together. Going to get some fresh fuel tomorrow and see how it goes. Dam it looks like if the weather is nice i will have to take it out for another blast. (devil)

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I'm not very technically minded but is that teabag causing the problems?
rocket

Post by rocket »

not sure think its doing its job as it was not blocked and stopped the gung going through I've given it a good clean anyway
duke63

Post by duke63 »

This is worth reading. Same symptoms it would seem.

http://www.rsvr.net/blown-ecu-not-cooke ... page3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

Sounds good Rocket and I'm sure you will have it sorted out soon.

I believe problems on Italian bikes is called character (blush)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Never used injector cleaner in a bike and I don't know why tbh as used it on cars plenty of time as a precautionary measure. Is it worth adding some in with the fuel as a precaution if you found some gunk ? Just an idea.
rocket

Post by rocket »

Blade wrote:Never used injector cleaner in a bike and I don't know why tbh as used it on cars plenty of time as a precautionary measure. Is it worth adding some in with the fuel as a precaution if you found some gunk ? Just an idea.

good idea batman may try that
Blade

Post by Blade »

Hope it helps and please keep the thread updated its really intersting.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

on the subject of fuel ,after many hours on the dyno with a 911 engine i rebuilt Total excellium gave the best results its also contains a cleaning additive for modern injectors.BP was by far the worst fuel and the car was always down on power and ran rough when using it.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

That's useful info. I tend to use BP as there's one next to work and one just down the road from me.