Daytona 600 coolant leak.

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
paulevs
Your Bike: 2004 Daytona 600

Daytona 600 coolant leak.

Post by paulevs »

Hi all,

Newbie here, not great with mechanics but happy to have a go if it looks straightforward :)

My 2004 needs the coolant topping up every now & then, finally decided to do something about it rather than just top it up every few weeks.

I've noticed some dried spots of coolant on the radiator, so I'm guessing the rad's got a few tiny leaks in it.

I took the route of throwing some Radweld type stuff in yesterday. Put the back wheel on paddock stand & let it idle away in first to warm up & run it through the system,

Only it didn't move, it just sat there in the coolant tank.

I thought there have be a blockage in the hose, so took the side fairing off & took the radiator cap off. No blockage as the contents of the coolant tank started to empty out.

I was expecting to see liquid circulating back into the tank via the top hose, but nothing happened.

In traffic the temp soon get's upto 100 degrees (C), and the fan kicks in about 104. It never rises past this.

Once clear of traffic it soon drops back down again.

Is this something to worry about ?

I'm starting to think maybe water pump issue, or blockage in return pipe ? Although, I struggled to find the return pipe route to have a better look.

Would a water pump issue show up on TuneECU, I've plugged it in & no warnings shown.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Paul (from Bolton, Lancs)
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Re: Daytona 600 coolant leak.

Post by Monty »

Hi mate welcome to the site. The temps you are getting are perfectly normal, but think you're supposed to put the Radweld into the rad cap not the tank.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Hi and welcome Paul, as Monty says you take off the rad cap, extract enough coolant to get the right amount of rad weld in and then top off and replace the rad cap. The tank you put it into is only an expansion tank iirc, when the coolant heats right up and expands slightly any excess is pushed into the expansion tank, as the engine/coolant cools down when stopped it'll suck some fluid back out of the expansion tank if required.

Hth.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

D600s do run hot. As mentioned, the temps you're seeing are normal for this bike.
paulevs

Post by paulevs »

Thanks for the advice.

I just expected to see the coolant circulating through the system & therefore knowing that the Radweld had got right through the system... but I understand what you are saying.

Now to show my mechanical ignorance... is there a drain plug on the rad ?

I took the right hand side mid fairing off, to get to the radiator cap.

I'd guess that I need to take the left side off ?

Booked myself a trackday at Oulton Park for later in the month & just want to make sure it's all running fine.

I don't wanna be the guy who overheats & dumps coolant all over the track... or breaks down on the way there lol

Thanks again, really appreciate it.
Monty

Post by Monty »

There's a bleed nipple on the water pump by your left foot, but I normally take the bottom hose off. (same side)

Make sure you close nipple up properly after you've filled it. I've forgotten to do that twice and got a very wet left foot!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
paulevs

Post by paulevs »

Cheers,

I've been googling where the water pump is located & got nowhere !!!

Just been out to have a look, I see the nipple & I'd guess the hose (nearest my toes lol) is the return pipe to the expansion tank ?

If I drop the Radweld in the radiator cap, will the pump circulate it around the system ?

As I said earlier, I'm not really mechanically minded but if I understand what needs to be done I'm happy to have a go at it.

My proudest moment was changing the chain rubbing strip, it seemed quite a daunting job but someone had posted a 60 step guide with photo's. Took me a few hours but the satisfaction made it worthwhile.

Just seen you're in Buxton. I spend a lot of time driving my truck round Buxton, some great bike roads round there.

Thanks again
Monty

Post by Monty »

Yes it will do. That chain rubbing strip is a pig of a job, lost a few knuckles doing that.

Keep an eye out in the events section on here, there will be a few Buxton rides this summer.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Monty wrote:Yes it will do. That chain rubbing strip is a pig of a job, lost a few knuckles doing that.

Keep an eye out in the events section on here, there will be a few Buxton rides this summer.
Aaaargh, the chain rubbing strip on a D600/650 was designed by satan himself. :(
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Unless you bodge it like I did. Fairly easy then!
paulevs

Post by paulevs »

Job done, thanks for all your help.

There's a lot of satisfaction in doing stuff yourself (even if I do need to ask how to do it lol)

Paul.